Wednesday, December 21, 2005

said-system, nuanced, like mellotron

Hello Tim - thanks for getting back to me. Took me a little while to suss out the interpolating scheme you used in your reply! - using my questions/statements as prompts for your answers/statements in return! Great jumble! Reads like a Peter Reading poem or Surrealist Automatic Writing or, perhaps more exactly, one of Burroughs' cut-ups. I'm hoping you get these references as I namedrop, obviously! It was nice to stumble across a clutch of activity such as yours; very often my mad researches have fallen on stony ground, but I had a good night last night. Nice that you are in London, too. I was there with my wife on Monday - attempting to see the Paul McCarthy show at the Whitechapel; but shut Monday! Bah! I should've realised: Monday can be dodgy for gallery opening! Again, hope McCarthy is in your general art orbit. If not, check him out. I haven't actually got any soundart/improv on the Internet. You can see my visuals and some text/prose at http://murmurists.blogspot.com though. There are 100s of images/posts - check out the archives for October and November, also. Let me know what you think, too, please. I can send you some noise stuff by email, and will do! I'm new to Northampton - moved here in May from the North West. Not the most inspiring place, Northampton; but I am hooking up with local improv-kind, artists, film-makers etc. I left a semi-thriving community of creative friends behind in the NW, and I miss the intellectual banter face-to-face; not least I miss playing soundart/music. Cyber is ok; but I like the social power and interest of a real community, making a din, and getting it out there in the world. So, that is the plan: to hook up with like-minded others in this part of England; get something going. I'm experienced - playing bass, guitars, electronics, keys, programming, laptronics, artist, composer, writer - and am, moreover, hungry to make art here, too. I'd love to hear more about what you and your group get up to. Gigs? Exhibitions? I harbour dreams of fraternity for us peripherals! Bit of pooling of resources! - a kind of peripheralists' black economy. Give the effing mainstream a run for its money! Sure enough there's a scene out there - a diaspora mostly, but a scene nonetheless. Life is too easily bland, day-to-day; peripheralists need peripheralist excitement, a good time! So, in that sense, it is great to know that you have an interesting and workable concept there, and that you are having fun with it, making a contribtion, and getting the result out there in the world. Who can ask for more? Hope to hear from you soon. Best wishes, Anthony ----- Original Message ----- From: "tim drage" <*@yahoo.co.uk> To: "Anthony Donovan" <a.donovan7@ntlworld.com> Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 12:35 AM Subject: Re: mail art AND circuitbending! > Hi, thanks for emailing!!> >> Great site - disorganised yes, but happily so, to my> Thanks! GLad you like. Yeah, that's how I like> websites to be, so pleased you appreciate! :) I need> to do some updating soon... make it in some ways more> navigable but in others more filled with labyrinthine> content! :) Also I belive (as far as I can tell from> filedate archaeology) 2006 is the 10th anniversary of> my web presence generally, which is kind of> terrifying. I'll celebrate by actually uploading the> rest of the first few pages I ever made a decade ago> and never finished!!!! That's some procrastination,> even by my standards! ^_^> >> place! These days, it is improv and electronica I>> personally prowl; but 1994 to 2002, I was an avid> Cool! My height of mail art was at college,> 1997-2000... After that I kind of petered out> somewhat. I'm sure I'll get back into it one way or> another some day, but for now internet and noise/music> has taken over.> >> legitimate PhD in Mail Art from a real university! > Nice!> >> know Michael Leigh very well - got lots of his stuff>> in my archive. A really nice fella.> Yeah, he is indeed. Ah, I should send him some stuff,> haven;t for a while! I guess you are probably aware of> his blog, but just in case -> http://flobberlob.blogspot.com/> >> this big wide world may I ask? > I'm in London, but only just! :) ie Harrow. Lived in> Newport for 7 years (which is too long to be in> Newport!) during college and after. Originally from> Newcastle + Northumberland.> > What do you do circuitbending/electronics-wise? Any> stuff online I could check out?> > Would be cool to maybe trade CDs at some point if> you're interested... I need to get round to making> more copies tho, so might take a little while.> > Bye for now,> all the best!> > Tim Drage - tim@spiteyourface.com > Animator, Noisician, Surrealist> > Spite Your Face Productions - animation> http://www.spiteyourface.com> > Cementimental - noise+music>http://www.cementimental.com>>> > _______________________> To help you stay safe secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com> > > -- > No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG Free Edition.> Version: 7.1.371 / Virus Database: 267.14.2/208 - Release Date: 20/12/2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home