Sunday, January 22, 2006

Shuttleworth d d d Derrida o.n.o.

Cheers Roj. Great emails as usual. You make me chuckle, mate; and you are always insightful, too! Very generous of you to offer your rememberings of things I said, probably, 15 years ago! Maybe you do have a sardonic streak in there! I do, also! I always meant such things either constructively or comically! Glad that you seem to know that! Sorry to hear that things appear to have cooled a little, regarding CR. I felt sure, with the formal - dress - rehearsal you had at Star that you were about to grace the stage early 2006. These things do ebb and flow, of course; but whether it's at all seasonal is a moot point! If it is, there's a lot of in-built unproductive time there; unless filled with winter-appropriate activity! Spring is, though, a time for getting stuff done, renewal. That's surely nature. Personally, hibernation feels like idle time. Xmas is often that: three weeks of stretched smiles, distended bellies, and bus queue-style chitchat - at worse! Doesn't have to be, of course! I have Annie. We just carry on in loving mode; and we exchanged wonderful, thoughtful pressies. So the rest of the world is, for us, somewhat beside the point, at some basic level! Everything else is an addition. Give our love to A hope she is better soon. You did good there, mate. A is a lovely person. Please, ignore Fripp; he's a fucking cheesecake! I like his guitarplaying; but he really is full of quasi-philosophical, quasi-religious wank; the soothsaying prog pig! I really hope you play live; I think you will love it, mate. It'll make sense of things for you. Anyway, what is the alternative: bedsit CDR production ad infinitum? You are better than that, mate. I'm sure E and J want to bring your material into the open, too? Sorry that *********************************** MP3s - have one, mate; great device. Love walking and listening. Agree totally. Very creative activity; and relaxing... Haven't listened to your pieces yet; will do and get back to you with reactions. Thanks for sending, sharing. Best wishes, Anthony----- Original Message ----From: Roger Litherland To: 'Anthony Donovan' Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2006 1:21 AM Subject: RE: update. Hiya Dov; great to hear from you. I’m doing good. On a personal level, work doesn’t inspire me creatively at all, but never the less, it’s ‘ok’ and sustains my family pretty well and it ain’t too stressful. I walk to work everyday and it’s about 2 ½ miles and I got an MP3 player for crimbo, so I love walking to and from work; it’s improved my life dramatically. forgot how good walking and listening to music was; think last time I used a walkman (remember them, was chuffed cause mine turned itself over automatically and now I have one the size of a small cigar that holds over ten hours of music. fabulous) I was 21. A woman at work asked me what I was listening to, so let her have a blast. I had Michael Hedges on and she said “oh yes, my D* listens to music like that, really really varied taste – i mean, he likes REM, Stereophonics, cold play, you know, really diverse taste”. I said, mmm, and walked off. Good job she didn’t listen further to be hit with steve reich, Stravinsky, early tangerine then zappa then kraftwerk, then Richard Burton reading under milkwood, then magazine then Johnny cash then Robert Wyatt then half man half biscuit then orbital then marvin gaye then Varese then supersilent then Alog then, fuck me , I’m here . And I think my tastes aren’t varied enough. ************** Things are nothing like as exciting on our musical front as yours bud. No gigs. still never done one apart from a couple of jams in a few pubs. I think I’ll refer to fripp’s guide (see attached) before / if we ever end up playing one, but at the same time, reading it has put me off a tad. We are still creating and had a great jam last Sunday but I think we’re struggling to find a muse at minute. Like I said at Christmas, not so much me, but *******************So, I think ‘stagnant’ may be a bit too much of a negative word, but it’s fairly levelled out. I’m always doing it, and working on it and just accepted that it’s something I/we just do. we tend to start hitting form around April, or we have over the last couple of years, so it must be a seasonal thing. Even people who were excited a few years ago that we were doing something together and have heard the four albums we’ve done are losing interest now (which may not be a fuckin bad thing to be honest), mainly because we are just carrying on as we always have , not gigging, and not really letting them in (or interfere). we have asked a few people to join us but they stood us up, then apologised, but we thought ‘what the fuck’ and moved on. There’s not much point in telling you about my musical and artistic social circle, because you pretty much know them all and what they’re about (plus you can count em on one hand, minus the thumb). Really pleased things have positively developed for you in Northampton; it’s no less than you deserve. As I said about the ‘one hand’ thing, these types of people minus the egotism and bullshit but plus the intelligence, humour and general friendliness are fairly rare so it sounds like a good social circle. They all sound pretty clued up and connected with top vocations too. Brilliant stuff dov, truly made for yer. Would love to here some of the stuff that comes out of it and would love to see the gigs. just saved this as a draft; and in the mean time ******************* a heated debate about the recent Dawkins tv programme ‘the root of all evil’ . of course me and * were all Dawkins and * was opposed. interesting stuff. **********I’ve recently un-earthed an element of kitch in my artistic exploites (albeit a sardonic kitch; if there can be such a thing ((there is now)). I remember once you referring to me as sardonic ((back in the ashworth years)) and I remember not knowing the meaning of the word and going home and looking it up, and being quite chuffed afterwards.a nd I wasn’t even in to the Smiths at the time). at firstr I was quite desterbed but now I’m learning to embrace it. You said about the jam we had together that I brought an element of ‘niceness’ to your proceedings. thats maybe why the drum beats and the major cheesey chords and there changes don’t bug me so much. totally agree with you though, when you say ‘why can’t music be influenced by other art other than other music’ or here is piece I worked on between mailing you. can’t believe I spelt ‘disturbed’ the way I did. hey, I know its wrong to do so, but I blame that fourth glass wine. I looked up ‘desterbed’ on the internet and it appears loads of American goofballs spell it exactly the same way. the rest of there spelling was appalling too. I mean there is no excuse for it these days; they must have a spell check for fucks sake. I felt ashamed (or disturbed even).soon got over it. adele said I have got to write it a hundred times. no problem with copying and pasting. laters bud. -----Original Message-----From: Anthony Donovan [mailto:a.donovan7@ntlworld.com] No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 267.14.21/236 - Release Date: 20/01/2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home