Sunday, April 16, 2006

variousing

Hiya Dave. Glad you seem to like the soundartworks on my myspace site. Really, though, I dashed them off whilst having first mess about with Nero Wave Editor. I didn't labour over them at all; and they are simply the ones I made short enough to be posted on the site. I made 13, I think it was, and most where 20 minutes plus. Several of those are, I feel, pretty interesting, as that kind of thing goes. I used a few during the gig at Club Sporadic; straight from the laptop into the mixer. The Nero thing is pretty basic shite; crashes if you do too many things, especially time-stretching and pitch-shifting. My processor is only modest, also, of course. But, it's a piece of piss to make acceptable minimalistic pieces. I have an interest in this in and of itself - though my attempts are, due to the way Nero works, a bit typically droning. I'd like to produce things with more space in them, less continuous. Not a big issue, though. As I say, it was just me feeling my way through the software. Nice to know you were entertained. They've had a surprising amount of hits, as well, in just a few days. Myspace is good in that respect; you should get your material on there. Lift what you like, of course; and use if and as you like, of course. Just let me know! The ultimate idea, yeh, as I said, is to have a fully-fledged site of my own, linking to this and that, with images, film, music, works, etc. The blog I'm proud of. It's a nice place to visit I think. I've had lots of lovely comments, and it's made things more fast-moving when I've met or emailed people. It was never meant to be anything more than (a) a sketchbook and (b) me getting used to the technology. In it's former role, it's helped me clarify my direction, as sketchbooks do. In it's latter role, it's worked to give me confidence and experience with stuff hitherto unknown to me. Same with the afternoon spent with the Wave Editor; all this technology demands practice, as you know! A myriad of learning curves! That said, I think the blog has grown into more than just that. By the by, the myspace thing will grow and change; though one cannot customise the look of it to the same extent as the blog. It looks insipid and a bit ugly, bitty. The best laid-out and most logical and accessible site I have actually is a fet one! It's brilliantly intuitive and looks great; and it's free like blogger and myspace. Just shows ya! We are playing next month - not sure of date - at improv festival. Sorry to hear Bill's having tech problems. That is the flipside, of course. Complex stuff = complex problems. Bet he's tearing his hair out. Good idea as you say to have a band-style blow at Urban Sound every now and again. Lets you play the drum kit for one thing. Not been in touch with *. He never answers anyway, as you know! * a bit far, too. You should be on their festival bill, though. Made any inroads in that direction? I'm making a film actually. Think I've hit upon an interesting idea and method, actually. The idea is to project it during gigs. Roger has a machine for this, which helps! The film is a kind of cartoon - images melding into one another, and using lots of strong colours, so that the film itself acts like a lightshow, also. The images have the look of my usual blogged stuff; so it's real-looking but altered. It will look like a kind of cartoon in the end! No camcorder involved at the moment. But I like this avenue. The film the other band shot of us at Club Sporadic is nice. Short. But he knew a few nice tricks and textures I don't know. Trouble is, my laptop won't play it, so I can't copy it! Plan is to ask Roger to copy it. Send you this stuff as and when. Look forward to copy of your stuff and Chris's. Cheers. 'M' the film? Not got this. Big news is Scott Walker has an album coming out on 4ad next month -'The Drift'; first since 'Tilt' in 1995. Major event for me. Did you see him on The Culture Show? They scratched the surface of the surface as usual, but it was great just to see him. Good luck, mate. Keep in touch. Regards, Anthony----- Original Message -----From: *****To: Anthony Donovan Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2006 4:48 AM Subject: new site Anthony Checked out your new space on the internet. Momentum and net presence both growing I see, good stuff. Material on there, re sound works, seemed quite minimal but that was good. In particular 'onement' and 'around the sickbed' I was taken with. Onement specifically gave most 'space' to play with; for the imagination to roam in. Great white noise/waves/wind amalgam sound, to my ears at least. Lack of beats, or rather absence of beats, was a little disorientating at first but refreshing; 'beats' aren't after all a necessity for rythmn. I'm actually listening to the pieces now and surprisingly to me onement is my favourite, previously I'd have said 'around the sickbed' but it has definitely been overtaken. Last practice for us was a bit problematic technology wise but I'll get it mastered and send some material. Bill having big computer problems so me and noel were thinking of a trip up to urban sound next saturday, record up there, give bill a chance to keyboard it large as it were. Do you have any more dates set up mate? have you been in touch with * perhaps? Have you done any filming recently? Chris dropped off a cd with Ant the other day, i'll have to get up there and collect it, send you a copy when I do so. CD is with '*' as you may remember him. Is the myspace space a taster for the blog and eventually a web site? I'm assuming so, the web site the eventual goal? If so are you going to be rotating the sound pieces on there or are they fixed? Ok mate, gonna do some editing on things and get off for now. Keep well and keep producing :) Do you have a copy of 'M'? If not let me know and I will do you one and send it down :) * did one for me, remember him from the pyramid gig in warrington? Regards and best wishes, Dave No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.4.1/313 - Release Date: 15/04/2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home