Thursday, June 15, 2006

variousing

Yeh, same here. Glad you've said. I've always been into that. That's the idea behind all those images I make, the false-names, etc. I'm working to affect a whole cosmology of associations, clues, misquotes, homages, and so on. I do this in my blog and my myspace; but I'd like to bring that element firmly into performance, too. The film was a move on that front. I see most artful things as essentially performative, theatrical: and my interest is more orientated toward something like The Goons than the serious po-faced improv world. Who wants to watch a load of middle-aged fellas twiddling knobs? Visually, that's hard work for an audience. I cannot see why we have to be the focus of attention at all. I know we are all extremely good looking, but it just looks like a rock band, doesn't it? Nothing wrong with that per se, but I, like you, would like to see where else we can take it. I love stuff like Paul McCarthy, the Viennese Actionists, Happenings, Fluxus, of course Dada. It's what I studied on the PhD really. We've never really chatted about this, *. Glad you brought it up. I'd like to learn what you think of the imagery I use as is - the blog, the stuff on myspace. I'm getting some really good reactions to this material actually - in fact, I'm getting lots. It all looks mysterious, but I think people pick up on its sense of fun, too. I've not exactly researched this, but it does have a kind of look of its own: surrealistic, comic, academic, fetishistic, sexy, political, refs to philosophy and weighty ideas, but having a picture of Jeremy Clarkson labelled as 'Noam Chomsky'. In a sense, that's the idea I had with murmury - kind of free-association, but with didactic content, too. The sum is supposed to reflect a kind of definite agenda. The films I made, for instance, were intentionally Google-ish - undifferentiated imagery; one minute a load of dead cows, then a mum smiling at her kids, then a pub brawl, then a black screen, then line-dancing, then missiles, then anonymous people looking into the camera... The soundartworks I have posted have attracted praise, too; which surprised me, because I made them in about 20 minutes, just learning how Nero Wave Editor works. To my mind, it's all out there, mate. One just has to apply oneself. Best wishes, Anthony

3 Comments:

Blogger St. Anthony said...

The interesting thing about a lot of the imagery is that hopefully people bring their own associations to bear -
Fluxus and Dada too -
Works on many different levels and, as you say, removes the po-faced from the equation.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:46:00 pm  
Blogger murmurists said...

Thanks Anthony. Roger and I have just agreed upon that same idea via a couple of emails actually. I love Fluxus, love Dada. The surrealism/gallows humour admix, for me, is of real interest. I was watching The Mighty Boosh last night, and really enjoying it. But it lacks specificity, I feel: it isn't didactic enough. I like how it fools around with reality and logic, but unlike Chris Morris' Jam it does so without saying anything really useful about same. Morris, in contrast, offers surrealism, and we laugh if we are so inclined, but he sends messages, too. There's narrative, and there's ideology.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 7:44:00 pm  
Blogger St. Anthony said...

Yes, I 'd agree with you about Morris - he seems to have a knack for touching on sensitive spots, and exposing the gormlessness of certain people.
There seems to be a clear intelligence behind his stuff, not just a desire to get a laugh. Black humour, used to make a point - it's what drew me to Burroughs, among others.

Friday, June 16, 2006 6:44:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home