Friday, November 10, 2006

triternate of WALKER/G&G/BAILEY

Evan Parker's amazing. I missed seeing him a couple of times. He played on a previous Walker LP, of course. Not familiar with Chance. John Zorn I like. His work with Naked City I like. I think about the sax when I'm playing acoustic guitar. Have you heard Jaco Pastorius' bass version of 'Donna Lee' by Coltrane? - starts his eponymously-titled first LP. It's inexplicable, breathtaking. Walker is a true and actually unpretentious and non-passive-aggressive recluse, I would say. When asked whether Walker had seen his film about Walker, Stephen Kijak said 'no'. A ripple went around the cinema. People get caught up in some easilly-wrought emotional backlash loop, as in 'how rude', 'how weird', etc. But what I find interesting is that Walker has the emotional power to not be interested in seeing the film. That takes some doing, I'd say; and I do believe Walker has not seen the film and will never see the film, just like I believe he never listens to a record after he's finished it. I think this is pure, a methodology; and is aimed not at looking weird, it's just how he wants to be. I'm minded of two other instances of powerful existential commitment: Gilbert & George and Derek Bailey. None of these ever let their guard down. They respectively live and lived that commitment.

3 Comments:

Blogger St. Anthony said...

Yes, I like Zorn's stuff ... it's almost a truism now, but Zorn has done great work mining the affinities between free jazz and hard-core.
I always press Chance on people - funny bloke, James - a weird combination of avant gardist and show biz entertainer.
I'm afraid I'd like to attain Walker's Zen-like indifference, but couldn't resist a quick decko if someone chose to make a film about me (hey, I'm always open to offers). Greatly admire people who keep it up all the time ... to coin a phrase. G&G ... we met them a year a so ago, charming and open.

Friday, November 10, 2006 1:19:00 pm  
Blogger murmurists said...

'...weird combination of avant gardist and show biz entertainer...' could describe aspects of Walker at a past point. Zorn's an extremist. He understands the music of cartoons. A great thing. Beefheart referenced. I believe G&G are fine fellows, yes. My friend, Ed, and I stood outside their house, off Brick Lane - Fournier Street - recently, filming, stalking, like adoring kids. I was proud to. I hope you have seen their video, 'The World of Gilbert and George'. I have it. A perfect night in is watching that, Keiller's London and/or Robinson in Space, and Jarmen's Jubilee. London at its triangulated best.Ferocious.

Friday, November 10, 2006 7:44:00 pm  
Blogger St. Anthony said...

I've always been curious over the distrust some critics show regarding G&G ... they seem to me good, humanist artists, concerned with their enviroment and the people in it. I remember in the old days when they were routinely tarred and feathered as Fascists ... ludicrous, really.

Monday, November 13, 2006 8:40:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home